Sunday, November 13, 2011

Time Enough for Blog

It's been a week of ups and downs. The big up was yesterday, spent in Hillary Rettig's "The Time of Your Life" seminar at Grub Street. If you get the opportunity to attend one of Hillary's presentations, either at Grub Street or anywhere else, I recommend it highly. In the morning she taught us that procrastination to avoid writing is typically a response, a suboptimal response, to ingrained perfectionism (the inner oppressor that says 'you suck - why even bother with this?'), and how you can be aware of that inner voice and silence it. The afternoon was all about time management -- about how, when you become aware of where you're spending your time, you can empower yourself to spend more time on the high-value activities where you want to be investing your life, and less time to no time at all on the low-value things.

Now to put her advice into practice.

The big down, was a big Fall Down and Go Boom on Monday night, when I took a tumble onto the track bed when running full out after a Green Line train at the Newton Highlands stop.

Bad idea.

No broken bones, but bruises and contusions along my right side bad enough to keep me out of work for a day, and leaving my right arm looking like I commissioned Jackson Pollack to provide me with a tattoo sleeve depiction of Hell. It's 63 degrees in Boston right now, but I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt in recognition of Penny's delicate sensibilities.

Better time management should alleviate the need and desire to run for trains. We can only hope.

Thanks for Reading,

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, I hope you're feeling better. (Now that's certainly a vivid description of your arm! Top marks for literary brilliance).

    And I've wanted to take one of Hillary's classes for a while. I'm always hearing wonderful things about her!

    ReplyDelete