Thursday, December 31, 2009

Two Hundred Eighty Eight Words Per Hour - Progress?

Well, it was only half an hour of writing, for a total production of 144 words - but the snail was on pace to hit 288 before he petered out completely. This was clearly one of my many 'false starts;' in this case an expansion of a one-sentence journal entry that yielded the following: a scene I wasn't interested in, a character that I liked but didn't understand, and a possibly-interesting relationship that had ended before the scene began.

I saved the file -- cut and pasted it into a file of other dead-ends, to be exact -- but I don't think I'm going back to it anytime soon.

Still, I consider that progress. The butt was in the chair. Words were pushed out, albeit slowly. My mind works like a cranky old lawn mower, I have to keep pulling the cord until the engine finally catches. There's gas in the tank, but I've only begun to look for the spark.

Time to pour us a couple of pomegranate martinis and see if we can stay awake until the ball drops. Happy New Year everyone, and may your own creative sparks fly in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment