Saturday, January 2, 2010

Writing Under the Influence

...Under the influence of ideas, that is. An idea caught spark yesterday, and this afternoon I was able to burn through the first two pages of what looks to be a relatively long story with plenty of momentum left for tomorrow. This evening, however, I am enjoying a glass of Shiraz and, not coincidentally, thinking about the 'writer's curse,' a.k.a alcoholism.

I've not seen any hard facts that writers suffer more from alcoholism or other addictions than the general public, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Prone to other obsessive behaviors? Check. Desiring to break down their inhibitions? Check. Curious about altered states of consciousness? Check.

Unusually early for me, I already know the major theme of my current story. It happens to be addiction. This knowledge might not be a good thing. A 'theme' that surfaces too early can sink the story before its written, if you start bending the narrative to fit. I'll have to try and be on the lookout for that.

Time for a refill, and a little more reflection on the subject before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment