Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dominance of Submissions

The one-or-more submissions a day for the month of August experiment continues, with 15 new submissions, minus two rejections, out there. (In addition to a one-day turnaround from Catalonia Review, I've also heard from the twice-as-slow to respond, i.e. two-day turnaround, elimae.)

Most journals that have an electronic submission manager, particularly ones associated with university writing programs, seem to have acquired the exact same software, probably something open source (i.e. free). Note to self -- idea for a conspiracy / sci-fi / metafiction story. Hackers take down the entire literary journal publishing industry by infilitrating the submission manager software and instituting closed reading periods. The lives of the great majority of citizens are unaffected.

The problem now is that my writing has languished. Other than the fine-tuning edits of the three pieces I'm actively submitting I haven't created much, if anything, new this month. Apparently it's a different part of my brain that's engaged when I evaluate potential markets, fill out forms and write cover letters, and make new entries in my submission log, than the part that actually creates material to send out.

Hmmm. Or maybe I'm using the submission process as yet another excuse, albeit a nobler one, not to write. Damn, my internal censor is sneaky.

Thanks for reading,

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Considering that a) it's summer and not much happens during the summer and b) (I know for a fact) you have written lots of stories, at least one a month, if I were you I wouldn't feel so bad; in fact it's great that you are doing more submitting as well as revising. As unpleasant as it can be, it's still necessary for writers who want to get there work out there and read. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete